Photo by Bob Owens
Heirs of the Ball family donated the Ball Filling Station property, later called the Ball Service Station, to Historic Wellington, Inc., a non-profit organization formed in 2001. Bob Owens took this photo before he removed the roof in 2008, and prior to the front falling. Tax-deductible contributions can be mailed to Historic Wellington Treasurer Margret Wood, 1806 Ellison St., Wellington, TX 79095. Board members also include President Dickie Johnson, Tony Carter, Owens, Oran Sain and Val White.
Photo by Neal Odom
The Weatherly Roofing crew installs a new green-shingle roof on the historic Ball Service Station, the first gasoline station in Wellington, on Saturday, Aug. 14. Quincy Weatherly donated the roof materials and labor. New headers, ceiling joists and rafters were recently erected by Mike Neeley and Jesse Cantu. Bartlett’s Lumber & Hardware of Wellington donated the wood for the project.
Photo Courtesy of Tony Carter
Ball Filling Station customers visit the business built on the corner of 8th and Amarillo St. Opened in May 1919 by Ralph and Ruby Curtner Ball, Ruby helped her husband at the station for over 40 years. He died in 1960, and the landmark eventually fell into disrepair. Funded by Historic Wellington, work continues to restore both the outside and the inside of the station. Bob Owens estimates this photo was taken around 1919 to 1922, although nobody is sure of the date.