If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
By Whitney Wyatt
The Red River Sun
CHILDRESS – “God’s not done with me yet,” said Sandy Koepke, who got out of her house before it was destroyed by a fire on Thursday, Feb. 18.
“I’m alive,” she said. “I got out. It’s OK.”
That can’t be said for her possessions, though. Koepke said she lost everything but a china hutch.
“It’s not crispy burnt,” explained Koepke, who is going to have someone renovate it. “But my clothes, jewelry, computer, TV – they are in ashes.”
Childress Fire Chief Daniel Tyler said the fire started at 4:50 a.m. on Feb. 18. The cause was electrical.
“There was heavy smoke damage to the entire house,” Tyler explained. “She lost a dog and rabbit in the fire. She is staying with relatives.”
A fund has also been set up at First Bank & Trust, located at 2006 Ave G NW. A registry on Amazon will also be set up in the near future.
“She would give you the shirt off of her back even after her fire burned down,” said Morgan Moss, who has worked with Koepke through CASA, where she volunteers. “She is a good-hearted woman.”
The director of Food4U Food Pantry, giving is part of Koepke’s DNA. She is also a past recipient of the Childress Chamber of Commerce’s Woman of the Year.
Now, she is on the receiving end.
“People have bought me clothes,” Koepke said. “It’s been great.”