If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
By Sheriff Michael Pigg—
CHILDRESS – The Childress County Sheriff’s Office has adopted a detailed written policy on racial profiling.
• clearly defines acts constituting racial profiling.
• strictly prohibits peace officers employed by the Childress County Sheriff’s Office from engaging in racial profiling.
• implements a process by which an individual may file a complaint with the Childress County Sheriff’s Office if the individual believes that a peace officer employed by the Childress County Sheriff’s Office has engaged in racial profiling with respect to the individual.
• provides public education relating to the agency’s complaint process.
• requires appropriate corrective action to be taken against a peace officer employed by the Childress County Sheriff’s Office who, after an investigation, is shown to have engaged in racial profiling in violation of the Childress County Sheriff’s Office policy.
• requires collection of information relating to motor vehicle stops in which a citation is issued and to arrests made as a result of those stops, including information relating to:
• the race or ethnicity of the individual detained.
• whether a search was conducted and, if so, whether the individual detained consented to the search.
• whether the peace officer knew the race or ethnicity of the individual detained before detaining that individual.
• whether the peace officer used physical force that resulted in bodily injury during the stop.
• the location of the stop.
• the reason for the stop.
• requires the chief administrator of the agency, regardless of whether the administrator is elected, employed or appointed, to submit an annual report of the information collected under Subdivision (6) to:
• the Commission on Law Enforcement.
• the governing body of each county or municipality served by the agency, if the agency is an agency of a county, municipality or other political subdivision of the state.
The Childress County Sheriff’s Office has satisfied the statutory data audit requirements as prescribed in Article 2.133(d), Code of Criminal Procedure during the reporting period.
Executed by: MICHAEL D. PIGG
Motor Vehicle Racial Profiling Information
Total stops: 811
Street address or approximate location of the stop
City street: 25
US highway: 783
County road: 2
State highway: 0
Private property or other: 1
Was race or ethnicity known prior to stop?
Alaska Native/American Indian: 8
Asian/Pacific Islander: 46
Reason for stop
Violation of law: 2
Moving traffic violation: 788
Vehicle traffic violation: 21
Was a search conducted?
Reason for Search?
Incident to arrest: 0
Was Contraband discovered?
Description of contraband
Stolen property: 0
Result of the stop
Verbal warning: 7
Written warning: 89
Written warning and arrest: 0
Citation and arrest: 0
Arrest based on Violation of Penal Code: 2
Violation of Traffic Law: 0
Violation of City Ordinance: 0
Outstanding Warrant: 1
Was physical force resulting in bodily injury used during stop?
Number of complaints of racial profiling: 0