If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
By Bev Odom/The Red River Sun—
WELLINGTON — The lighting of the Collingsworth County courthouse square is a long-time tradition to mark the beginning of the Christmas season for Wellington residents. Plus, the Collingsworth County Chamber of Commerce revived the red ticket drawings from times past in 2019.
Karen Caldwell, chamber vice president, greeted the crowd gathered for a special event at 6 p.m. last Sunday, Dec. 6.
“What a beautiful evening for the lighting of the square,” Caldwell said. “The chamber supports our local businesses, of course we want to showcase them with our red ticket drawing tradition.”
Red tickets are $10 each with prizes totaling about $4,200 according to Caldwell.
“We have wonderful prizes and gift certificates for you to spend on Christmas,” she said. “We will do another Facebook live feed for the red ticket drawings.”
The drawings will take place at 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 14 in front of the Wellington Opportunity Center, Inc., 817 West Ave. Collingsworth chamber board members are selling chances on these prizes for $10 each.
“The chamber also wants to promote community as we organize events that give us a sense of community,” said Caldwell. “My family came to Collingsworth County in the 1900s because of the land but stayed because of the community. We just have something very special here. I want to thank all of the groups that put Christmas trees up around the square. If the trees could only talk, each could tell their own story. Vote for your favorite trees on Facebook too.”
A tradition that just began last year, businesses and individuals have decorated trees again around the courthouse square. A special tree is Cliff and Gigi Waller’s angel tree featuring hand-written ornaments. Citizens of Wellington are encouraged to visit the chamber Facebook page to vote on their favorite Christmas tree.
Special guests Santa and Mrs. Claus visited with folks and passed out candy canes to the kids during the evening. Caldwell led in singing “Jingle Bells” and “We Wish You a Merry Christmas.”
Giveaways include Christmas cash donors:
• Wellington State Bank $500
• Weatherly Roofing $500
• OJD Engineering $300
• 1st Wellington Agency $200
• Collingsworth Farm Bureau $200
• Shane Logan’s RYRA $200
• Adams Funeral Home $100
• Farmers Co-op Society #1 $100
• Plas Mac, Inc. $100
• Tony Cox Farms $100
• Chuck Darter CPA $100
• A&K Meat Processing $100
• Jim’s OK Tire Store $100
• G. Keith Davis Law Firm $50
• Pro Exteriors $50.
Red ticket raffle gift certificates are as follows:
• Carroll’s Flowers & Gifts $200
• Bawcom Supply $100
• Market Square Supermarkets $100
• Margret Wood’s Rodan + Fields $100
• TBerrys Gifts $100
• Two Rivers Family Restaurant $50
• Angel’s Subs & Sweets $50
• Collingsworth Pharmacy $50
• Melissa Kiker’s 𝘗𝘳𝘦𝘮𝘪𝘦𝘳 Designs $50
• Chad Mock’s CAM Waterjet $50
• Greenline Equipment $50
• The Gettin’ Spot Cafe $50
• Wellington Ritz Theatre $50
• My-T-Burger $25
• Brooke Carter’s Rocket Nutrition $25
• Dugan’s Double D’s Konez $25
• Cowboy Coffee $25
• Johanna’s Hair Design $20
• Mona’s Cocina $20.
Red ticket drawing gift items include:
• Bartlett’s Lumber & Hardware socket set $200 value
• Greenbelt Mini Storage one month’s rental $50 value
• Cross Road Peanut Company gift sack
• The Red River Sun one year print and online subscription $36 value
• D’Lynn Faulk’s LuLaRoe Designs women’s top
• The Mercantile cross and birdhouse broken china art pieces
• JD’s Auto Supply & Repair plier set and two car cleaning buckets.
To purchase $10 red tickets, message the Collingsworth County Chamber of Commerce on Facebook, place a check in the dropbox at The Red River Sun office at 902 West. Ave or text Caldwell at 806-683-8147.
Tickets can also be purchased from any of the following chamber board members: Margret Wood, Geney Gulley, Nancy Harris, Shannon Rollins, Lisa Manuel, Eric Morton, Renee Hanna, Billy Wilkerson, Cecilia Orozco, Bev Odom or Neal Odom.
To renew membership or join the Collingsworth Chamber, mail a check to PO Box 267, Wellington, TX 79095. Dues are $25 for an individual or business with one employee, $50 for a couple or business with two to five employees, $100 for businesses with six to 10 employees and $250 for businesses with 11 or more employees.