If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
Special to The Sun—
MEMPHIS – Memphis ISD shared its COVID-19 return to school guidelines.
- MISD will offer the parents the option of virtual/online learning provided by their child’s teacher(s).
- Students who participate in remote/online instruction will not be able to participate in UIL/extracurricular activities.
- Parents who choose to change their student from virtual to on-campus instruction or vice-versa must do so at the end of the grading period. Flexibility will be given to change the instructional setting until Sept. 11.
- Virtual/online instruction will require daily check-ins with teachers.
- Only visitors who are deemed essential to school operation will be allowed on campus. Visitors will need an appointment with a school employee to enter the building, must be screened prior to entering the building and must wear a face covering.
- Parents may not accompany students to class except for the first day of school. Travis students may be accompanied to class by a parent until Aug. 28.
- Staff will self-screen daily before coming to work.
- Staff will take student temperatures each day before students board the bus and/or before entering the campus. Students will be screened weekly by asking students or parents of elementary students questions about possible COVID-19 symptoms.
- High touch areas, classrooms, restrooms and common areas will be disinfected frequently using disinfecting fogging machines and other disinfectants.
- Buses will be thoroughly cleaned after each bus trip, focusing on high-touch surfaces such as bus seats, steering wheels, knobs and door handles.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in all classrooms, restrooms, entrances and common areas.
- Adults will wear masks or shields when around students, in common areas and in spaces where social distancing is not possible.
- Students in 4th – 12th grade will wear masks, as mandated by the governor’s executive order. Exemptions may be given for medical conditions or when it is not developmentally appropriate for the student.
- No use of water fountains. Students will be encouraged to bring a water bottle each day and bottle fillers will be available.
- Social distancing in the classrooms as much as possible.
- Breakfast will be in the classrooms. Lunch will be served in the cafeterias on disposable service units with physical distance between students. Students may bring their own lunch. Meals brought to school will be dropped off outside the front door. MHS and MMS students may still leave for lunch.
- Entry and dismissal procedures will be adjusted as needed to allow for physical distancing.
- MISD counselors will provide social-emotional support to staff, students and families.
- Pep rallies, class parties and on-campus assemblies will be determined by the rate of community transmission of COVID-19 and the health recommendations associated at the time.
- Athletic practices and contests will be conducted following safety protocol provided by guidance from Memphis ISD, UIL and TEA. This will include COVID-19 screening, group sizes, sharing and sanitizing of equipment, locker room usage, etc. Spectator attendance at games and contests may be limited based on TEA and UIL guidelines.
- Communication will be ongoing between MISD and parents and staff via notes/letters, electronic communication, social media and MISD’s website.
This is a summary of the Memphis ISD COVID-19 return to school guidelines. The complete document may be viewed at www.memphisisd.net.